It seems like this past rainy season has done wonders for our garden. When we moved into this lot 2 years ago there were 3 scrawny short trees and nothing else. What a different a few years (and some gardening TLC) makes!
When we first moved in- June 2008. Our tree on the left was so small we were almost taller than it! That tree now has three levels and is a good 4 feet taller than the roof of the house!
And NOW!
Trying to plant a few things….
That same corner 2 years later!
The front of the house. You can see the mats hanging down (wet from rain) in the screen porch behind.
My basil bush shrub! I have two kinds of Basil grown here – a native Niger one and one that I planted from seeds bought in Italy. I am interested to see which will last longer, but they both taste and smell amazing! Anyone need some basil?
And if course Harriet likes all the foliage- to hide in and to eat!
Our front gate
Our fig tree! Last year I got maybe half a dozen full grown figs. Now this picture is just a little look at one part of a branch. I probably have 50 figs growing on it today alone!
So I have learned that things CAN be grown here in Niger! Even my poor attempt at a green thumb can’t mess it up, especially when our guards remember to water and weed even when I don’t!
So come visit our very own garden of Eden! It sure helps cut the sand and bleakness of the country!
4 comments :
Looks absolutely beautiful!
It's amazing to see such vibrant colors and growth and know that this is all growing in desert sand. And I complain about our growing season here in Calgary :(. It is truly an Garden of Eden.
heather
Beautiful! Hope we get to stay up north and see our new little plot transformed! I normally have a black thumb, but I'm thinking that with help from guards, I might manage to grow some things :)
Wow - your yard looks fantastic! I'm especially jealous since last weeks frost put the end to my garden. It looks like you're going to have lots of pesto!!
Post a Comment