Tuesday, June 08, 2010

TWO YEARS! An interview with ARIELLE

June20100602

If you had to describe all that has happened and life in general in just three words...what would those words be?

hot, healing, helper to all !

What do you like most about living/working in Niger?

I love my turtle Harriet!

One of my favourite thing to do is to go outside our gate and play. I especially like to sit with the guards and make tea! They let me pour in the tea, and sugar, and serve people, etc. Sometimes I am outside for hours sitting and playing and making tea!

I also like that I can make friends with people from all around the world. My best friend is from France, and my other friends are from the USA, Niger, Ireland and Australia!


What do you really NOT like about life here in Niger?

I sweat. And we aren’t just talking about a little bit here. I am the sweat factory of the family. I still manage to look cute, but just a wet version of cute!

I also don’t really like that so many people reach out to touch my hair, or pinch my cheek. Like I am the “lucky white girl” that they all want to touch like a rabbit’s foot. I mean seriously , people!

I am also afraid of dogs, and there are lots of dogs on the loose in the streets. I have never been bitten or anything, but they scare me!

kidshutclass

What have you learned about yourself in these past two years that maybe you didn't know before?

I am safe. I am loved. I am whole. This past year especially has been one of amazing healing for me. I am so thankful and my eyes beam and shine like never before.  Also, much to my parent’s delight, I discovered that I no longer had to vomit daily or even weekly. I am a big girl now!

What is the biggest challenge here that you continue to work on overcoming?

I get really attached to people. The nature of the expat community is that people are constantly coming and going, sometimes just for vacations, sometimes never to be seen again. Sometimes I am confused why I have to say goodbye to people.

Give me a little snapshot of your week. What kind of things do you do in a normal week?

Monday to Friday I go to playschool in the morning at a little African pre-school place. I have many friends there and I like my three teachers. Two of them are Nigerien and one of my teachers is from Algeria. Next year I will be big and at the same school as Bennett! I am learning to speak French, sing songs and make crafts! In the afternoons I usually still nap. Bennett tries to keep me awake and read stories and goof around, but usually I can’t quite keep up to him yet! Then i like to play outside with our toys or my dolls, or go into our play kitchen and pretend to make food. When it comes time to make real supper, I like to go in the kitchen and stand on a stool and help! I like to stir and pour things in. Then it is story time and bed time! Weekends we visit more people and sweat, or go to the pool. I just like being with my family wherever they are!

What are a few of the biggest things you miss about our life back in Canada?

Not sweating. I miss my Grandparents and aunts and uncles. Otherwise I don’t actually remember that much about Canada!

Any other thoughts you want to share?

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”

-Dr Seuss!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Sniff sniff! Blink blink....precious and heart warming. heather

Di said...

What a great snapshot into your lives these 2 mins have been. Thank you for sharing. LIfting you ALL up as you work, play and learn in Niger.

Corinne said...

That is fantastic Chantelle...thanks for sharing this!!! Corinne B