Saturday, July 28, 2007

Quartier du Petit Champlain

Every weekend we pick a new area to go and explore. After all, that gives us a chance to use our french in real settings and enjoy the beautiful place we are living in for 7 months. I also love Saturdays because it is my only morning to sleep in and then enjoy quiet time with Arielle while Paul wakes up early with bennett and they go out and do stuff and enjoy dad-son time. It works great. I was so touched today when Paul and Bennett came back from their 23km bike ride with a big bouquet of beautiful lily's for me. They went past a big farmers market and Bennett saw all the flowers and all by himself he asked Dad if we could buy flowers for mommy. He picked them out all by himself (he had no money so dad had to pay) and brought them home. My little man was so proud to run in and give them to me and I had tears in my eyes. My kitchen smells so wonderful like fresh lilies now. I couldnt get bennett to pose for a picture with the flowers. he doesnt usually like having his picture taken so Arielle, who was enthralled with the flowers, opted to be a stand in model for you all.



So we packed up water bottles, snacks, diapers, backpacks, and all the other paraphanelia you need with two small children and headed to Quartier de Petit Champlain. It is in the lower Old Quebec City along the river, below the cliff walls and fortications that make up the upper city. Again it reminded me so much of all the architecture when I used to live in Europe. Fantastic. I love the rock buildings and flowers and sidewalk cafes. Here are some pictures to help you appreciate the culture and style we walked amongst.









Arielle was in the carrier pack and she loved it as always. This time she held on the Paul's ears a lot, which made us laugh. We are teaching her the names of body parts so she was all proud to keep repeating EARS! And then we would get this big smile. She chatters the whole time she in in there.



We took the riverside route back to the truck when we were on our way back after it had just rained. Next to a big cruise boat there were a few puddles, which of course Bennett simply couldn't ignore. He was having so much fun and it was quite warm out that we sat back and watched him jump and laugh and make big splashes. After all, isnt that what little boys are supposed to do? We didnt care he was getting all wet. His huge grin was more than enough incentive to sit back and enjoy his little show.



This time of learning the language is so crucial to our future success in Niger, to be able to converse with the government on projects and schools etc, as we also learn a tribal language. We are so blessed to be able to learn it in such an interesting place.

3 comments :

Bob the Dog said...

You do live in a beautiful city, albeit temorarily! It makes me nostalgic for Europe. What great photos! I did particularly enjoy the pictures of Bennett playing in the puddle, it's exactly what little boys should be doing. ~Jill

heather said...

I cried (when your son brought home flowers for his mom), I smiled (seeing Arielle with her fingers in Paul's ears) and I am in awe of the beauty of where you are living. Sending hugs....

Kristi said...

allo Chantelle.
I loved the photo of Arielle in the sac a dos and of course, Bennett playing in the puddles. I will need some blog lessons from you on how to put multiple photos in a "frame"!
Kristi